Brown Recluse Spider Bite Is Dangerous? Brown recluse spider is a spider which prefers warm climates. It is usually found in both central and southern United States. This spider tends to live in a dark area such as leaves, rock, or wood. It also lives in your home and porches too.
Sometimes this spider will hide in clothes or shoes if you lay them on the floor for a long time. Brown recluse is violin-shaped spider and dark in color. It has the patch behind its back. This patch is hard to see. Many people mistook them as another kind of brown spider.
Do Brown Recluse Spider Bite?
Yes, they can bite you. You need to go to a doctor immediately if the spider has bitten you. Children and older adults need to take prompt treatment if they are bitten by this spider since they will have more severe symptoms. Brown recluse spiders are not aggressive spiders. They will bite us if they feel trapped against the skin. During the day, they will hide, and they will come out during the night to hunt for insects.
How to Get Rid of BrownRecluse Spider
When these spiders are inside your home, it can be called impossible to get rid of them entirely. However, you can set glue traps and use repellent so you can kill the spiders. After that, you need to do some prevention tips such as:
- Clean up some dark areas such as basement or closet. This tip can help you to remove the kind of places where brown recluse spider likes to habit.
- Avoid loading wood into your house. You also need to avoid placing clothing on the ground. You need to shake them out first before putting it on.
- When you want to move rocks or wood, make sure to wear gloves. It is necessary, especially when you live in an area where this type of spider is common.
- Don’t put your shoes on the ground in a long time. If you want to wear shoes, you need to check inside.
- When you take things out of storage or closet, you need to be careful. Brown recluse spiders are often live in those places.
- Store tools and other equipment in the tightly sealed plastic bag and store them in airtight place to avoid these spider habit.
Symptoms brown recluse spider bite
You need to know the symptoms when you get bitten by a brown recluse spider. When this spider bites you, usually you don’t feel anything at first. It means that there is a chance you might not even realize that a spider has bitten you. Especially when you don’t see the spider on your skin. If you feel like a spider bite you, you need to check if the bite is sting or not. The venom usually doesn’t develop in several hours.
After that, you will feel burning, itching, or pain around the affected area. The area will become red, and a small white blister will develop from the affected area. Some additional symptoms of the bite may include intense itching at the affected area, fever, rash, nausea, chills, sweating, and general discomfort. After one or two days, there will be the unique pattern of discoloration which develops in the affected area. The bite may turn into blue or deep purple color.
How to Treat Brown Recluse Spider Bite
You need to go to the hospital immediately if you think that the spider has bitten you. But first, you can take some first aid step. Wash the bite with soap and water immediately in the affected area. Then compress the bite with the cool compress or ice pack to reduce the pain and swelling. You can compress it for 10 minutes.